WhatsApp hacking entails three things:
1. A person establishing a remote access to your WhatsApp account in order to spy on you real time. This is usually done by people who want to monitor your conversations.
2. A person having access to your previous chats, either by recovering your backup chats or by exporting your chat files to where he has control.
3. An intruder having access, and taking over your WhatsApp account. This is the one we’re going to discuss today. In our subsequent posts we’ll discuss number 1&2.
Why are scammers interested in your WhatsApp account?
WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging apps out there. This means that everyone using WhatsApp has a large number of people he interacts with. Among those people you interact with are persons of interest to a scammer.
– It could be the gullible ones that will send him card or money thinking the request is from you.
– It could be the ones that will jump on a fraudulent business proposal thinking that you are the one that recommended it.
– It could be the ones that will provide information and data about someone/something thinking it is you that demanded…
– It might be those that will click on marware infested link thinking you posted it.
– The scammer might have access to confidential information…
– The scammer might just want to use your account to spam your contacts or to run a propaganda campaign.
By and large, if your WhatsApp account is hacked, a lot of damage can be caused. Think of being the admin of a WhatsApp group and you loose control of your account to a scammer?
How WhatsApp could be hacked
The scammer either installs new WhatsApp and tries to register it with your WhatsApp number, or he tries to change from his number to your own on existing WhatsApp. Normally, you will require an OTP(One time password) sent to your number to complete the process. How do the scammers get the OTP?
1. They use social engineering. In this case they might call you and tell you one convincing story that will make you send them a code that was sent to your phone. Sometimes they can sweet talk even people that already know the danger into releasing the code to them only for you to realize what you did just moments after the deed has been done.
2. Those that have access to your phone can easily copy the OTP even if your phone is locked.
How to prevent your WhatsApp account from being hacked
1. Set two step security on your WhatsApp. Go to settings>account>security>two-step verification>add pin. Choose a six digits pin that is not easy to guess. When this is successful, even if a person gets your OTP, he will still be required to provide the pin.
2. Do not reveal any code sent to you from WhatsApp to anybody at no time.
3. In your phone’s setting, disallow display of content of notification on lock screen and do not leave your phone to unauthorized persons.
How can you recover your lost account?
Uninstall your WhatsApp and install new one. Granted, this is not 100% guaranteed.
Have any experience with WhatsApp hackers? Share with us in the comment section.